You Don't Have To Like It!

This is Wednesday's post.  Forgot to publish.  Don't you just hate that?

I recently had someone tell me that they didn't really like 20th Century art.  I never really know how to react to that.  Mostly, I guess my initial response it: YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT!

I think the disdain comes from a lack of understanding.  And pre-understanding should't rush to judgement.  You should never like or not like anything until you really understand it.  In the meantime, one should just accept that it's important.  That it changed things.  That it made a contribution.  Etc.  And if you want to understand it, do the leg work.  Read about it.  Hear lectures.  See it.  Soak it in.

If you don't want to understand it, then you'll probably want to reserve judgement, as we wouldn't want people running around spouting uninformed opinions would we?  What would the internet be like if we all did that?  Oh, wait.  Never-mind.

This rant has been brought to you by the letter R.

Comments