WHERE HAVE I BEEN?!

And how did I go from a daily blogger to someone who hasn't even thought about his blog in 4 months?  

Eh...who knows? I can bet it has a great deal to do with a busy schedule, time management, and my inability to handle either of those things.  But rest assured...I'm back now.  And there is much to discuss about art, creativity, and all that goes along with hanging out in the studio with me.  For example, here's a juicy little tidbit of information: I am getting a new studio!

Actually, it's a whole new house.  Construction started in early June and has come along very well (I think owed largely to a logistical genius project manager - my sister.)  The interior work is happening now, and it takes patience.  I mean, if I could get the tile guy (who is very slow) and the flooring guy (who is even slower) to hurry up, then maybe we'd make more significant progress.  Side note: turns out that I am, in fact, the tile and flooring guy.  And no, I'm definitely not fast.  I am a pretty quick study though, and this process of making things with materials that I hadn't used before now is exciting.  

As a matter of fact, when I first saw the house (I've been away in Maine for two months), I was so blown away excited that I just wanted to round up everyone I knew and tear through all of the final detail work Amish barn raising style.  "Jeremiah!  More grout! Hezekiah, could you and Abe move onto the kitchen cabinets?  Ask Ruth and Ester to get those pies off the window sill so we can finish putting up the trim boards."  You know the drill.  

But, as I don't have an Amish community at my disposal, I've been trying my best to do what I can to contribute in the evenings and on weekends. (See... my brother-in-law's company is building the house, but I wanted to do some stuff while they're doing other things to cut costs, etc.)  So, I've become a second-shifter and I like it.  

Well...now I do.  At first I couldn't find patience.  I just wanted to see it done.  I just wanted to hurry up and get to where I wanted to be.  It was like perpetual Christmas Eve.

Even though they're not Amish, my friends have been present and helpful.  Last weekend, while helping install hardwood, my friend Matt, noticing my spazziness -  told me it might be a good idea to slow down and enjoy this.  "This might be the only time you ever do this.  Take the time to enjoy it," he said. That conversation made it clear to me that I need to chill, let it happen, and enjoy the ride during this unique, once in a lifetime project.  And we thought Matt was only wise after 8 beers.

More on the studio later.

Comments

Post a Comment