Lost & Found

Boy & Dog, 2007/13
Ink & Colored Pencil on Paper
This weekend, I found an old line drawing and so I decided to color it (with Prismacolors, of course.)  I saw the boy and thought that I might be able to use him as the main character for the book concept that I started developing over Christmas break.  I ended up scrapping the idea that there needed to be a central character, but I think I'll bookmark this little guy for later on.  He has a fun, whimsical energy that I think could be quite useful in the future.

This ended up being one of those drawings that doesn't feel entirely mine.  It's like I found it.  I mean, I'm sure I drew it, but I don't remember why I originally sketched it, so the lack of intent makes me feel a little guilty.  I guess the guilt stems from me looking at it now and thinking that it's good.  So if it's good, and I don't remember how I did it, then that sucks.  If I drew something good, I'd really like to hope that it wasn't an accident.

I should explain though.  Why do I think that it's good?  Well, it was drawn in ink - no careful layout in pencil first and no eraser smudges.  The line work is confident.  No hesitation in the mark making.  When a person draws without hesitation, I find that impressive.  Also, the shapes are decisive and interesting.  Playful proportion.  Interesting subject matter.  The list goes on and on.  No...I don't remember why I drew him, but I must have ate my Wheaties that day.

I wish it were this simple every time - that the work could just flow freely.  Unencumbered and automatic.  So often it feels contrived and forced, but there is something that happens occasionally when the images just pour forth and I can't really do anything to stop them.  I like those days.  This drawing must have started on one of those days.

I suppose those days have a lot to do with how inside of my own head I am.  I'm sure I psych myself out on busy days when I only have a short amount of studio time, and I try to force it.  But I know better.  I know  I have to stay loose.  I know I have to just keep working and that it will come eventually.

Now...I only need to bridge that gap between knowing it and doing it.  I'll add that to my to-do list.

Comments