A New Look At Home

Today I was walking to the post office and I was trying to look at the town where I live objectively. It's not beautiful, in the traditional sense. There is no architecture of notice, no city planning. It is not magnificently landscaped or filled with interesting shops. It just is.

The interesting thing is that is contains an honest reality that is it's own version of beautiful. The real things that happen to people and construct a life happen here. They happen to people of character who deserve respect. Seeing life play out like that provides something innately fascinating.

I have come to live in this town 3 separate times, and each time it became a different place.
  1. I came home from the hospital here in the summer of 1976, when I was born.
  2. I came here for a new start in the spring of 1988, when I was 11.
  3. And I came here after I lived in Chicago to resume my teaching career in the fall of 2002.
There's something here that deserves documentation. I'm not exactly sure what or how I'll go about it, but I'll let you know when I find it.

Comments