Geography

As I've mentioned, I live in "the middle of no where." This notion is of course ridiculous. Everywhere is somewhere.

In my case though, I live in a rural area of Illinois in a very small farming community, and for all of us that have grown up here, we've all had it feel like no where at some point. Not that we'd let an outsider talk badly about our little town though. No. That is not allowed.

I do enjoy the benefits and challenges that my town presents to my art making. I begin this list below, and will revisit these notions when I can.

Advantages:
  1. I have privacy. I'm not constantly being harassed by the super rich art collectors who are dying to have me for their collection or art critics from the New York Times or Art Forum:-) I'm well hidden and free to explore creative avenues without prying eyes.
  2. Studio space is affordable.
  3. Art supplies are cheaper here, because most people don't know what Damar Varnish or Phthlocynine are.
Disadvantages:
  1. I don't have any critique buddies. Artist have critique buddies. Studio rats. People who sit in your studio and drink beer and talk about what you're doing well and what you're not doing well.
  2. Little too far removed from museums and galleries. When I need to get out and see what the rest of the world is doing, artistically, it's the internet or a road trip.
  3. I think everyone thinks (or has figured out) that I'm strange.
  4. People expect me to paint landscapes or fruit or something.
I'm sure I'll think of more of these as time goes on.

Comments